Comfort quilts are donated by the Evening Star Quilters. They are hand-made by dedicated members who strive to make a difference in their community. The members of this guild donate their skills, time, and resources to provide a modest gift to anyone in need of that special “touch of kindness.” They are caring people, each with a special talent, who make these quilts by hand, always considering the impact these quilts will have on the lives of the recipients.
ESQ has donated quilts to:
- Children of Hope Foundation, Mineola, NY
- Momma’s House, Wantagh, NY
- St. Mary’s Healthcare System, Bayside, NY
- Sewanaka High School—Baby Drive, Floral Park, NY
- Veterans, St. Alban’s, NY
- Bridge To Life Inc., Flushing, NY
- Winthrop Hospital, Mineola, NY
- “Little Quilt Charity Sew-In” for National Quilting Association
- Drainage Pockets for Breast Cancer Survivors
- Puppy Beds from fabric scraps for the Animal Lovers League, Glen Cove, NY
- Pillow and totes for Breast Cancer Survivors
The Arbors Quilt Club
ESQ Arbors Community Outreach Mission:
- teach quilting techniques to residents at Arbors Assisted Living at Westbury, NY.
- establish a consistent quilt club meeting to promote learning.
- design and prepare projects to facilitate residents wish to do charitable works.
- set attainable goals that highlight productivity of residents.
Benefits to The Arbors’ Community:
- provide residents with a social circle based on a common interest.
- promote commradery among residents that extend beyond quilt club meetings.
- entertain non-participating residents by showing the clubs completed quilts.
The Arbors Quilt Club has donated to:
- Leukemia Society
- Hope for NY
- Alzheimer Foundation of America (AFA) “Quilt To Remember”
What ESQ Volunteers say:
- “I love to hear the stories about the sewing they did years ago.”
- “It’s heartwarming to see how excited they are to see us each week. They are
motivated and that motivates us.”
- “They love donating their work to charity. They enjoy a sense of purpose.”